Jorge Delgado, in statements to the Lusa agency, specified that it is intended that the sedentary lifestyle index, which was 46% in 2020 (Directorate-General for Health), can reduce between 2024, 2027 and 2030, respectively, by five, 10 and 15 %.
The strategy approved today also sets targets for pedestrian mobility quotas, which dropped from 25% in 2000 to 16% in 2011. “We want to reach 2030 with a pedestrian quota of 35%”, said the Secretary of State.
The National Strategy for Active Pedestrian Mobility 2030 (ENMAP) was approved in general terms and is now going for public consultation, with Jorge Delgado waiting for it to be definitively approved by the end of the year.
In addition to developing plans and creating measures to promote walking, the strategy complements another that already exists, namely active cycling mobility.
According to the Secretary of State, the document approved today involves several governmental areas, “with measures ranging from legislative measures, in the area of road safety, related to education, with investments in infrastructure to improve cities and their characteristics so that they become more ‘walkable’, and measures of a fiscal nature”.
Jorge Delgado considered that in most cities the car has gained an “excessive role”, to which cities have adapted, so it is this trend that needs to be reversed.
“We will only be able to get cars out of cities to the extent that we are able to offer an efficient alternative”, which involves efficient public transport, which has to be complemented with the last leg of travel, said the official, adding that cities need to “developing sustainable urban mobility plans”.
Jorge Delgado was speaking to Lusa at the end of today’s signing ceremony, at the Ministry of the Environment, of contracts related to the tender for the financing of 250 electric and seven hydrogen buses for the metropolitan areas of Lisbon and Porto. Of the 18 applications received by the Government, seven will be financed, with execution expected by the end of next year.
At the time, the Minister for the Environment and Climate Action, Duarte Cordeiro, reaffirmed that in just over five years the public transport road fleets were renewed with more than 1,100 buses of high environmental performance.
On Tuesday, in parliament, Duarte Cordeiro had already spoken about today’s ceremony and had mentioned that “3.5 billion euros are in progress or committed to the area of mobility”, and for the expansion of networks correspond 1 .7 billion euros.
The 257 new buses, whose financing corresponds to a support of 48 million euros from the Recovery and Resilience Plan (PRR), join the 893 previously financed through the Operational Program for Sustainability and Efficiency in the Use of Resources (POSEUR).