For about 18 years, “KarenSevak Production” brand has been occupying a special place in the Armenian music arena. It is difficult to find a current artist in the field who has not worked with the music company founded by musicians Karen Hambardzumyan and S. Melkonyan at least once. As a result of cooperation with them, each created song becomes a hit or brings victory to the performer in various international competitions. In a conversation with us KarenSevak Production co-founder, musician-instrumentalist, composer, music producer Szak Melkonyan He said that the only secret in this is the boundless love they have for their work, which they invest in every sound they create.
– However, in difficult times for the country, when it seems that culture has been pushed to the background, you are constantly creating and collaborating with famous Armenian artists. Can we say that with your literate activity you are fighting against modern non-cultural demands, showing the real, Armenian music, or are you just doing your job?
– It is true that during the war we also composed and made instruments, but in reality those compositions and instruments were not only a struggle against modern distorted music, but also just songs that were created to keep the national spirit high. In general, national affairs have always been in the center of our attention during our musical activity. Yes, in these difficult days we have the task of propagating our national affairs and spreading it among the new generation.
– What is the secret of KarenSevak Production? The composition երգ songs not only become hits, bring success and recognition to the given artist, but also bring victory. For example, recently the song “Kuzes” with music composed jointly by you and Karen brought victory to Saro Gorgyan in the “New Wave” contest.
– By the way, I would like to add that before that, in 2017, again in the “New Wave” contest, Anatoly Dneprov’s song “Armenia Moya” with our instrumentation also brought victory to the singer of the “Voices of Artsakh” project Erna (Mir) Mirzoyan representing Armenia in the contest. maximum points.
In fact, there is no secret hidden in our instrumentation, we just do our job with love, and we take any singer or work very seriously. First of all, we do everything so that first we like it, then the new singer and the audience. Maybe it is a grace given to us that the works with our participation bring victories to the performers. There is a possible circumstance in all this, the songs become a hit or bring success to the artist not only due to the right instrumentation, but also the circumstance of the singer. That is, no matter how well we instrument the song, a lot depends on the singer’s performance.
– What is the reason for the fact that your collaboration with several Armenian pop artists is frequent, for example, Saro Tovmasyan, Razmik Amyan․․․ because they are always active or more talented?
– There are no singers chosen for us. Our activity is frequent not only with Saro and Razmik Amyan, but also with Arman Hovhannisyan, Arame, all the singers we work with. Basically, we work as much as they want or apply to us throughout the year.
– In Armenian music, everyone has their demands and approaches, you have collaborated with almost everyone, with whom is it easier to work?
– At first we wanted to know who it was easy to work with or who it was difficult to work with, but over the years our opinions about everyone have been formed. Those who turn to us to create or to instrument any work, we come up with an idea: we want to create something good together. There is no question of advancing ambitions or any principles here, we all work together to create a good work և, you see the result (smiles – author).
– Your joint work with the late Arthur Grigoryan, the song “Until the End”, unfortunately became one of the maestro’s last works, what would you say about the process of that cooperation, those days, or Arthur Grigoryan himself?
– The song “Until the End” was written by Karen and me during the Four Day War in 2016. Initially, it was performed by novice singers who were not yet known to the public at the time. When Arthur Grigorich heard the song, he liked it very much, he always said that he liked that song very much. It was in 2020, before the last war, one day he said that he wanted to sing that song. Of course, it was a great honor for us, first that Arthur Grigoryan loved the song, then he wanted to perform it. So, we went to work very quickly, recorded the song together, and then shot a video based on the song. Seeing the maestro’s feelings during the “recording” and recording of the song, due to his emotional and lived performance, we rediscovered the song we created.
– But, although it is impossible to imagine you and Karen composing or performing separately, will there come a day when you will perform separately as an individual musician?
– In fact, we are both individual musicians-performers, but as a result of our union we have a different style and are in demand in the field. Let it not sound arrogant, but that is why once the work with Armenian pop artists becomes continuous and we release a few hit songs during the year. I had my main achievements in the field of music during the joint work with Karen. Frankly, I do not imagine that one day I will want to perform alone, the same, I think, Karen. And then, God forbid that day comes (smiles – author).
– And what new programs and collaborations will the Armenian music-loving community witness in the near future?
– In the near future we have a new creative CD “Karen-Sjak”, which will be ready in months. There are concert programs in Yerevan, Los Angeles, about which our art fans will be informed in advance. So, God forbid, if there are no new epidemic or war obstacles, we are going to the big solo concert of Karen-Sjak, which we have been thinking about for a long time.
Interview by Lilit MAKARYAN