“Eating is a necessity, eating intelligently is an art”. The words of the French writer Francois de La Rochefoucauld sound like a warning within a global scenario in which food and food waste assume extreme relevance. The first confirmations in this regard come from the market: according to what is indicated by GlobeNewswire, in fact, the food waste management asset, or the sector related to the activities useful for reducing and preventing waste of food, will exceed $ 63 billion in turnover by the end of 2022 and will go beyond 116 billion within the next 10 years (+ 86% compared to the current year) with an average compound annual growth of 6.4%.
The economic increase inevitably has worrying effects that affect the whole world: according to the analysis made by Earth.org, every year almost 2.5 million tons of food are wasted. Who is in first place in the ranking of the most wasteful countries? The USA with 40 million tons of food waste every year: in this regard it is also important to remember the fact that US citizens themselves waste more food than Great Britain, Germany, France, Italy and Sweden combined. At the European level, however, further indications come from the European Food Information Council: every year the EU countries generate about 88 million tons of food waste.
And in Italy? In this regard, the data collected by the Waste Watcher International Observatory are relevant, according to which every citizen of the Bel Paese wastes about 595 grams of food every seven days. Furthermore, the same report highlights the top 5 of the most wasted foods: in first place there is fresh fruit (27%) followed by onion and tubers (17%), fresh bread (16%), salads (16 %) and, finally, vegetables (15%).
Staying in a Bel Paese perspective, numerous made in Italy companies took the field with the aim of reducing the amount of food waste. Among these there is also Vitavigor, a Milanese company famous worldwide for its “Super Grissin de Milan”, which has decided to sell its products on the Japal e-commerce platform in the “Against Waste” section. “Reduce the amount of food waste is fundamental, especially in this period in which the prices of raw materials have risen due to the conflict – says Federica Bigiogera, marketing manager of Vitavigor – As a food manufacturer for years we have embraced the cause against food waste by turning to Banco Alimentare to avoid the waste of our products; moreover, in the last year, we have also brought this approach to the world of e-commerce. For this reason we took the field, as well as many other companies in the area, with targeted initiatives: among these there is certainly the collaboration with the professionals of Japal. In view of the future, we will always be attentive to these issues because, beyond the traditional aspect, innovation and sustainability will always be part of our operational core “.
So let’s see together the 10 expert tips for it Stop Food Waste Daythe day dedicated to initiatives useful for reducing the enormous amount of food wasteto prevent and reduce it waste food every day, whether in the supermarket or in the kitchen at home:
- In the aisle already prepared: make the shopping list before going to the supermarket it is essential because it allows the individual consumer to think about the dishes that will be prepared during the week.
- No excess, no refund: once you arrive in the store, you only buy the necessary following the list created in order to avoid unnecessary excesses.
- Discounts first of all: it is important to promote the consumption of food close to expiry, but perfectly marketable, with the dedicated discounts.
- Creativity in command: waste can create creative snacks that are tasty and quick to prepare, ideal for taking to work the next day.
- The 2-hour rule: perishable products should never be left at room temperature for more than two hours, especially if the temperature itself is above 32 ° C.
- A fight against waste: having friendly competitions with friends and family to see who can last longer without wasting food is a great way to improve your habits.
- Choose the right place: in this specific case it is useful to create a designated space inside the refrigerator where the foods with the highest risk of being thrown are placed.
- Donate instead of throwing away: an optimal operation to reduce it waste food is to donate the extra supplies to a local food pantry or collection.
- Check day by day: it is a daily activity based on the control of deadlines in order to choose foods day after day according to their shelf life.
- Ugly is beautiful: buying “ugly” products does not mean taking second-hand food, in fact, these have imperfections, but are not damaged or rotten.